8.7.14

The heart of adventure


Photo by Julien Hayard

It's already halfway through 2014 and when I take a step back to examine what I've gone through, I realize I have come a long way. Did myself a favor and grew up some more, I believe. Asked myself the hard questions, the ones concerning or at least hinting about "the future." And although it will take me ages and all the courage I can muster to device a well-thought out plan for that million-dollar dilemma, I have taken the necessary steps to proudly say there is indeed progress in the maturity department, albeit slight.

Admittedly, my life is still a far cry from the adventure life I've been dreaming of. I've settled with only the mere idea of traveling through the books on getting lost in love and in the world I've been reading, blog entries on vacations and holiday escapades I've been browsing, and fancy Stacy Kent and Carla Bruni playlists I've been listening to on repeat (Doesn't Jazz in French make a lot more sense?!) that I have perennially put off every opportunity to get out and seek that Great Perhaps in uncharted territories for myself.

It's a mix of fear and regret on most days. Fear that this dream of an adventure life will keep me from excelling in my chosen career. And my erratic work schedule, filled with last-minute bookings and cancellations (of meetings, interviews, flights, etc.) just makes it impossible for me to take leaves and go places without harboring a tinge of guilt and irresponsibility. And with airline budget promos popping in every so often, I almost always end up feeling resigned and defeated to turn down yet another chance to go easy on my pocket. Seems like a lost cause.

But I refuse to have it. And the middle of the year is the appropriate time to turn things around, beginning with the way I see the world and how life works. Someday soon, it will be my turn. Meanwhile, baby steps... Like making this anonymous quote I stumbled upon online my life mantra:

When I say I want to travel I don't mean I want to stay at resorts and go on tours with tour guides or buy key chains from souvenir shops. I don't want to be a tourist. When I say I want to travel I mean I want to explore another country and become part of it. I want to discover small coffee shops in Germany and Italy and France. I want to walk on beaches in Australia and browse the book stores of England. I want to hike the Great Wall of China and go cliff diving in Hawaii. I want to meet people who are not like me, but people who I can like all the same. I want to take pictures of things and places and people I meet. I want my mind to be in constant awe of life on earth. I want to see things with new eyes. I want to look at a map and be able to remember how I was transformed by the places I've been to, the things I've seen, and the people I've met. I want to come home and realize that I have not come home whole but have left a piece of my heart in each place I have been. This, I think, is what is at the heart of Adventure and this is why I plan on making my life one.

Let's get lost together! Can't wait to look at adventure straight in the eye in the very near future.

Two years since my grand six-months long USA adventure and I keep coming back to it. I will never forget you, Maryland, Washington D.C., New York, California, and Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

  1. Your turn is when you decide 'sod it, let's go do this' ;)

    ReplyDelete