17.9.12

California dreams and comebacks


Image via Flickr

California, I can't believe you're only three sleeps away! And while I wait for my fateful reunion with the love of my life that is the Golden State, here are three songs from the past decade that I may have played over and over partly because I'm biased with the title but mainly since I have been wanting to return to California the moment I left it when I was 9:

1. California by Phantom Planet
California, here we come, right back where we started from

Popularized by the hit television series The O.C. in 2003, this song takes me back post-USA grade school days. Although the theme parks were all a little girl like me could think about, that two-month long trip had changed the game and ultimately turned everything around. And even at a young age I could already tell, someday I know I'll be settling down there.

2. Cali, Cali, Cali by Alyssa Bernal
If I could just feel the sand on my toes and remind myself that there is some hope

My dream to visit California was put on hold when matters of school responsibilities and lack in funds got in the way. A trip almost happened though! However, instead of an American escapade, my twin sister and I opted for a birthday party for our eighteenth. Hearing this song for the first time that year kept me hopeful. I know in my mind, I will always have California.

3. California Gurls by Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dog
You could travel the world but nothing comes close to the golden coast

I was a few documents away from finalizing my exchange program applications in a university in California when mom and I dropped everything and decided not to push through with it anymore. No more nonstop dancing to California Gurls, I told myself. The pursuit felt rather rushed and something done out of the spur of the moment, we were afraid that once we signed those envelopes there may have been unwanted consequences, consequences we fear we can't handle. I won't lie and say that I didn't regret it; that year I found myself more sad than ever. Since then it had been one of my top goals to visit California as soon as I could.

And look where I am now—with an itinerary waiting to be printed out, a trolley bag to be packed, and four full days of sunshiny adventures to be carefully planned out and executed. To say that I'm excited would be an understatement. I have waited over eleven years for this moment. Surely, there is no other place I'd rather be.

1 comment:

  1. As a resident of California for the past two and something years, I can't believe how excited I am for you, Kat!! I may be looking forward to moving to Seattle but I will definitely miss Cali so, so, so much. Enjoy the State Where The Sun Always Burns (just made that up, it's lame but it's true, haha). Looking forward to all the photos!! :)

    ReplyDelete